Saturday, June 5, 2010

Volleyball, Chili, finding Dashiell and playing Dominion - not to mention finishing my book!

Finally made it to the U.S. Embassy for my passport, I was starting to worry that they would mail it home or something.  I don't like how inflexible the new passports are, and they want me to keep it flat, dry, not to warm, not to cold.

From there I went to HaCarmel Market, and then Neve Tzedek.  In the market, I had a coffee and croissant and finished my book.  I meandered through Neve Tzedek, checking out some little shops I enjoy browsing through and eventually making my way to the bookstore.  I was able to find two books, one is from the author I just read: Jhumpa Lahiri, the other book being One Hundred Years of Solitude.  I have vivid memories of being in middle school and my seventh grade professor at the time telling a few of us it's one of the most powerful books he has read, and he reads it religiously annually.  I tried to start it once before, but I was distracted, and didn't get into it.

However, I find Tel Aviv cafes perfect for reading, they don't mind if you order just a coffee and spend many hours taking up a seat in the cafe.

I found Dashiell on the beach and we hung out for a bit, I was also able to give him everything I want him to take home for me.  I am living only with bare bones clothing.  It feels good to be unhindered.  As I was talking with a friend a few days, I was commenting that were I to come into great wealth, I would downsize as much as possible, clearing baggage from my life.  I am sure my parents are laughing at that considering the many boxes I have in the basement of backpacking gear, ski stuff, books from college, etc.

Played volleyball with Xan after waiting to get on the court.  Won the first two, not sure about the third, he says we lost - but I don't really know, and definitely won the fourth game.  Chili afterwards with him and Katie, and then Dominion with all new cards.  An awesome evening.

I was intending to go to the beatles concert in Yafo, but left late.  Jennifer called me - her and stephanie were there - and there were maybe 12 people.  I should  have explained it was a sunk cost to them, but instead said I would walk down.  15 minutes I said, not really thinking where I was.

An hour later I arrived, and called them for directions.  Google maps failed me.  They said they would come meet me at the bridge since the concert wasn't worth coming to.  We walked back to the central bus station, made sure Jennifer got a sherut and then Stephanie and I headed back to Ramla.

I was careful when arriving to make sure not to wake Izy, only to discover an empty house.  A late night snack of hummus and I turned in deciding to take today to sleep in after a week of waking up early - sometimes by choice, other times by necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment