Sunday, August 2, 2009

Deia to Soller, walking

When I asked about walking in the Hostal, I was told it would be impossible to even walk to the water. When I asked about walking to Soller, via the water, I was simply given directions at La Residencia. We could discuss further the implications of this, and socio economic impacts on health, and what not, but we will let that rest.

The walk was amazing. When I did the hike in Peru near Huaraz, it was incredible. Someone told me it is considered the number two hike in the world, followed by a trek in New Zealand. These two better watch out! The path(s) meandered along the Mediterranean sometimes dropping down to sea level, other times high above on cliffs with sheer drops. I saw mountain goats and sheep, walked under olive trees, and had more vistas than I can count. I dropped down to sea level a few times, and dive into the crystal clear water to cool off. Once, I stumbled on a group, and some people were covering themselves in mud, a sort of spa like treatment that I once saw on the shores of the Dead Sea a few years ago. They invited me to join them, and I did, lathering my entire body in dark thick mud, then letting it dry before washing it off. My skin felt like butter, perfectly smooth to the touch (then I burned it all walking for the rest of the afternoon in the sun). I continued on, stopping for lunch in the late afternoon. My sparkling water was fizzy from the bouncing around in my pack, the cheese ready to eat, and the chorizo tasty. I still haven’t dived into the olives yet, but they beckon even now from my bag.

At one inlet, I asked a group of Germans to borrow their mask, and did some swimming. It was beautiful, and I immediately wished I had brought my license with me to rent dive gear. Perhaps they can search for my credentials online.

I arrived after many hours in Porto del Soller, where I meandered, and eventually caught a small bumpy train to Soller. I just missed the bus, and decided to stay and have some dinner (Paella, some wine, and albondigas – meatballs!) I also ran into some familiar faces from my trek on the Deia side. After, I meandered down to the cab station, which I never found. I asked a person about directions to the street, and a few minutes later they pulled up and offered me a ride to halfway to Deia, from there it would be only 2km. I figured I could walk the rest, and better the 20 euros in my pocket then a taxi drivers. I hopped in the back, and we talked as we drove to his house. When we arrived there was a silent discussion between him and his wife. Back in the car. He dropped me in front of La Residencia. Very nice man, he is a doctor in Palma. Also teaches at a local college. Just back, time to shower and maybe go out for a bit to the local tavern. On the way, I stumbled into a private house accidentally that I thought was a bar. They were very nice about it, and thus I arrived back at Hostal Villaverde.

No comments:

Post a Comment