Sunday, June 13, 2010

Third Meal, Hamburger

"How would you like your hamburger cooked?"
"Still moving, please" I responded.

I had just come back from a wonderful afternoon with Yael and her family at their home near Gadira.  Away from the sound of the city, we spent time with our legs swinging in the pool, ate a delicious meal, and enjoyed wonderful company.  Couldn't have been better in any way.  Also, it was a chance to spend a little more time with Yael before departing (which is imminent).

After my late third meal at Yael's house, I was sitting in a small hidden away restaurant with Xan, Katie, Yonni and Rachelle - another farewell type dinner.  That's where I asked for my medium rare burger by putting it in a way I thought they would understand it, and got a burger that was still alive I think.  It was a nice change from the few burgers I have had in Israel, which are served almost crispy.  Fries well done was not so much a success, but still good.

Fast forward - back in the apartment we started a gave of Puerto Rico.  Without the aquaduct in play my strategy that allowed me to win (by a single point!) last time failed miserably.  It did show me how much that piece is worth, cementing that in.

I left and found Liza, and then after she had a bite while I drank lemon and water for my throat, Sasha and her friend joined us.  We walked a little down to listen to some live music on the boardwalk, and it turned out Liza knew the guy there.  He was the brother of the groom of the wedding she was at this past weekend.

There was a lot of speaking in Russian and Hebrew.

Marina returned from her dance recital, and I headed off to the central bus station.  It wasn't until 3 sheruts had already passed that one stopped and had room.  At the bus station, I played the patience card.  They know me at this point, and invited me to come sit where the chairs are and a table.  A game of cards started as we waited.  Someone tried to get me to pay extra to cover the empty seats.  The driver told them that I never pay more, that I am content with waiting, I even bring a book.  He knows from other nights.

At a little to 4 I arrive home.  I was happy to make sure Liza was alright, and keep her company until late - but I am little worried that it cost me some points on the health scale.  I woke up all night, my throat burning from deep breaths.

This morning I awoke and am now into my second cup of throat coat which luckily someone has here - Izy I think.  Unfortunately, we have no honey.  I might head out to buy some today - but I need to weigh the costs and benefits of such a trip to the store.  If I am up for it, I will head out later from this mold filled apartment which definitely isn't helping.  My plans to leave today are thwarted, even my secondary plans to visit my family with Dashiell.

No comments:

Post a Comment