Thursday, June 17, 2010

Following my hearts desires


I have decided to spend this month traveling as my heart desires, following whatever impulsive instinct I have.  I purchased a europass that allows me unlimiited train travel during a short period of time.  I planned this afternoon to go to Munich.  Unfortunately, I didn't bring my bags to the station, instead leaving them at the hotel.  I wasn't able to make the last train (I thought there was another, but I was explained what the little numbers mean, and apparently the "last" train only runs during the summer months, not including now.

I thought I would get my bags, return to Hamburg and go from there to Munich on all the night train.  Then I realized, it doesn't matter, I am free.  My costs are the same for the couchette, the ticket already paid for - just food when I get there, which will be comparable, why not make it interesting.  Thus, I find myself writing this from my bed on the night train to Zurich.  Geneva wasn't an option from Berlin direct, so I will have to hit it on the way back east.  Also, been enjoying using my German and French speaking Geneva will be similar to being back in Israel.  Mont Blanc is going to be very cool though, I can't wait to hopefully do some hiking around it.

Got in touch with an old friend that lives in Germany now, who is traveling to the states soon.  I am hoping to send some additional things back with her (I haven't mentioned this to her yet, but I don't foresee a problem with this).  I realized that I am carrying around way to many things that I have no intention of using here or in Kong Kong.  Someday I will travel the way I really want to, with just a toothbrush (maybe not even, hotel's provide them anyway - at least in the states if you forget yours), and have my clothes cleaned each night and delivered in the morning.  Imagine how liberating it would be to have no baggage?

I don't really know what there is to do in Zurich, but in the morning I will ask around.  Conductor said he would come by about 45 minutes before arriving to wake me up.

Dumped some stuff at the Hotel before leaving, a towel that I realized was unnecessary, some free flip flops I won at the international beer festival that I was planning to use for showers and unnecessary papers I have been carrying around.  I also poured out some of the laundry detergent - there was enough for maybe 25 full loads, I just want to hand wash a few things in the sink each night.

Also have a place to stay with another friend in Brussels next week.  I guess I will do a little western europe - more to see friends than see western europe, which I have already traveled in extensively.  It's also great to have someone to crash with.

Have I mentioned that Xan and I were doing a 100 push up challenge?  I have to see where I am with it.  If I time it right, I could do another day of the challenge in a different city.  I started in the middle east, worked up my stamina in europe and hopefully I can finish in Asia - far east.  Could be cool, different definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment