Friday, August 21, 2009

Athens to Istanbul

I went to bed last night around 5:30 AM. Vasianna, a bartender I met while having lunch, had taken me out and then I was online for a while after that doing some things, including a blog entry. Four years of Engineering allowed me to easily arise early, around 9 AM. only a few hours following my sleep. All those 8:30 AM classes paid off in more ways than expected in the long run. I did some packing, and luckily, my stuff had dried. The air conditioner during the day had leaked water all over some things, and I was worried about packing wet clothes. Crisis averted, except for a few socks and smaller items. It did make the room a lot less dry though, which was nice.

I got up early, with nothing in particular to do, moved my stuff down to the left storage and spent a few hours doing some research for Istanbul, checking flights and just relaxing. I also read a little of Plato's Phaedrus. The book I have been slowly digesting, The Spell of the Sensuous (David Abram), has been discussing it, and I happened to find a copy in the little library at the Tempi Hotel (which I highly recommend for location, just ask to be on a low floor)! It's approximately 95 steps up to the fifth floor from the reception which is already up a flight of stiars, and while my leg muscles look great, and it kept me from coming back to often without good reasons, it was a long way up and down each time I had a question about the internet or something else.

Alice joined me as well, and I related to her the epic that happened on her floor which I heard while hiking up to my room. We laughed, shared more stories of traveling, and talked for a while. I asked if she and Amy wanted to do lunch later - and we agreed on something light. Around 1:30PM, I was starving, and we decided to go. Amy wasn't up, so we set off to find a Taverna or something simple. We ended up spending the afternoon over traditional greek fare (I had the moussaka, she had the greek salad and we split a bottle of white Santorini wine) continuing our conversation of places we've been, and want to go, sharing stories of family and friends. It was really lovely, such that I lost track of time. We had to run back to the hotel, where I had them call me a cab, said good bye to Alice and Amy, and headed to the airport. Had the plane not been late, I should have known I could count on that, it would have been very close. I had a tax free item to be stamped, and my boarding pass to print. It was mayhem in the Olympic airways line. I finally got up there, picked my seat, and then headed to customs, and passport control. I had to explain that I was traveling from the EU and hence didn't have an entrance stamp, and finally got to the waiting area.

I ended up sitting next to two women from Australia, one was a web designer, the other I never caught her profession - but they said they worked together, so I imagine also in technology in some aspect. I was apparently asleep for take off, and woke up half way into the short flight. We left a half hour late, still managed to arrive only a few minutes late, and it was only a 55 minute flight. I am rather impressed. I wonder if being late is just built into the flight plan.

The women had just done a european sprint tour over a course of a month, hitting spain, france, UK, Greece, and Turkey. One was headed home, the other to Iraq. She was telling me about blood tests to cross the border. I don't like needles, neither does she.

After we landed, I found my bags, and the airport pickup sent from the hote quite quickly, changed money, and departed for the hotel. It was very nice and leisurely. When I arrived, they had someone come help with the bags, and some tea for me while I checked in. They offered some suggestions for tomorrow, and I found a tour that would give me a basic layout of the city. I already set up a tour of the Synogogue for Monday, and have to arrange a trip across for dinner or lunch at Paula's suggestion at a place her friend owns.

After putting my stuff into my room, I returned to the lobby and headed out. It is the first night of Ramadan, and it felt like the whole city was out. Of course, I have no baseline - but there was a vibrant feeling in the air, like the city itself was alive. I started with some Baklava. Amazing. Kebab. Not so amazing. Corn. Eh... another sweet thing, Amazing, Fresh Orange Juice - Yummy! I am afraid the food is going to be the death of me here, I might have to request a second seat on the airline. It's all so good. I can't wait to see more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment